Monday, December 13, 2010

Women, Food, God

Do you feel like you don't have time to eat well?

Worry about the cost of buying organic?

Think it's way too difficult and you could never master it?

Fear your family and friends will reject you, your food, or your efforts?

Think badly of yourself if you make a mistake in the kitchen?

These are the top beliefs that most people I work with seem to have when they come to me. They may really desire losing weight, getting off of their diabetes medication, or making their lifestyle more green (among other outcomes).

Why is that when so many people deeply desire positive outcomes that they avoid changing their diets?

My observation has been that what "getting healthy" represents taps people's deepest feelings about themselves. Geneen Roth wrote a book about this called "Women, Food, God". She says,

"The way you eat is inseparable from your core beliefs about being alive. Your relationship with food is an exact mirror of your feelings about love, fear, anger, meaning, transformation and, yes, even God."

So even though you may really want to lose weight, it means truly facing the emotions that are attached to this issue for you. That's the scary and uncomfortable part for people! All the defense mechanisms pop up when we say we don't "have enough time" or "it's too expensive." Deep down, what it actually could mean is "this is too painful/fearful for me to experience at this moment." It could also mean, "I don't feel worthy enough" or "health isn't one of my core values yet." To know what you true values are, look on your plate.

However, "going beyond both the food and feelings takes you deeper into realms of spirit and soul to the bright center of your own life."

When people finally feel ready to transform their approach to diet and lifestyle, the result can be simply magnificent! These positive benefits might be a stabilized and healthy weight, clearer skin, more energy, sounder sleep, and an overall improved outlook on life. Those fears we had that someone "won't want to eat this healthy dish" get transformed when the a dish that you place on the table is the first to be devoured by all the guests simply because your most authentic loving expression of yourself is one of the ingredients in the food.

Love yourself enough to eat well. To me this means, "eat in a way that nourishes your spirit on a deep level". You deserve it.




2 comments:

Rachel Tahnee said...

I am a friend of your sister and she sent me your website and all I can say is "WOW!" We are two peas in a pod. This post especially is inspiring and intriguing to me. I struggled with an eating disorder for over 10 years and it wasn't until I understood my body and the food I put in it, that I was able to recover. It's all connected. We're all one. The simplicity of it is overwhelming. :) Great Blog!!

Leslie said...

Hi Rachel, Thanks for your comment and happy holidays! Which sister of mine are you friends with? So glad to hear of how you healed yourself. I highly recommend this book. It's super insightful! Take care, Leslie