Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Krishna Das and Kirtan

On Dec. 17th, Krishna Das was in Honolulu. I've been reading about him in Yoga Journal, and was thrilled to find out about his being here. He does "kirtan" which is a sing and response type of chanting. Every time I've read about it, it sounds like the whole group connects and great levels of joy and meditation are reached. During one chant, I was overcome with emotion and started to cry. I looked around at everyone chanting, and saw in them the same desire I have: a peaceful and happy world. They all seemed to care about the future of the planet and the people on it. It was a great way to celebrate the holiday season. I felt relieved and resolved to be in a spiritual place for the holidays, rather than one in the material realm going to parties, drinking alcohol, and eating sweets. There are other more important things in the world to attend to.